Saturday, March 17, 2007

What comes up, part 2

For anyone who's interested, Flybaby slept pretty well last night, waking up only once and staying up for only 20 minutes. So maybe there's something to the Prevacid after all. Except he still seems to have the same symptoms during the day -- coughing like he's gagging on something, spitting up, face turning red with coughing when he's lying down.

JP thinks Fly's better sleep could be from the new blankets I "made" out of fleece fabric. Fly has grown out of his newborn blankets for the most part. JP thinks Flybaby sleeps better swaddled (even though I thought a 6-month-old baby should have outgrown the need for swaddling), so....

Or maybe Flybaby is sleeping better because of the new bedtime cream I am massaging him with lately that claims to help babies sleep better. That's been part of our bedtime routine since he was 2 months old: bath and a massage. I usually use nonscented products for Flybaby, but yes -- I fell for a product that claimed to help a baby sleep better. The people at Johnson's aren't stupid.

This is what gets me about parenting: it seems like a guessing game. Why is he doing this or that? Is it because of one thing or another? If I do this one thing, will it affect him so he'll do that? How come something worked for him last week but not now? What's behind Door Number Three? Once Flybaby gets older and starts requiring guidance/discipline, I know the guesses and what-ifs will just multiply.

Heaven help the walls for all the stuff I will have to throw at them to see what sticks!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for sleep! One thing you could try is these:
http://www.theopinionatedparent.com/?p=85
if you haven't already. (I prefer under the mattress to under the legs of the crib.)
Poor kid. Poor parents. ;-(
You're doing AWESOME!!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Lissete said...

I love those J&J products that claim to aid in sleep. I fell for it too. Not for my "babies" but for myself. I have the J&J lotion and all the Bath & Body Works Lavender product known to man!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gimme some of that lotion. Oh wait: A LOT OF THAT LOTION!!!!!!!!!

Yep, 'twas another terrible sleep night chez nous... :-)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Glad he slept. You're right...it's a HUGE guessing game sometimes. We often tell our DS 1 (19 years old) that he was our "experiment"...but the fact is, they are ALL experiments...as they each require different decisions for each situation.

Blessings to you...and may your sweet one sleep tonight as well.

:-) Susan

2:54 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Holy Prevacid!!! Sounds like it is working. You're right about it being a guessing game. I think blankets make a difference though. Lexi loves to snuggle with the really soft ones.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yup, it's a guessing game. Guessing what works, second-guessing yourself, and so on. ;)

Here's to being well-rested!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pass the lotion. And the benadryl.

And anything else that will help Hailey sleep more than 2 hours at a time.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

So glad he's sleeping better! I like to use that bedtime lotion for myself...hehe! For the first time tonight I used the "bedtime bath" in that same line of products, and Lancelot seemed to fall asleep a little quicker, so maybe there IS something to it.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I'll agree with everyone else here- Yay for sleep and I do hope it sticks!!

Join my Photo Tag going on! Hope you’d like to play along and post about the shoes you can't live without!

Steph

9:41 PM  
Blogger M said...

Ah the bedtime bath lotion. I am a complete sucker. I give her a bubble bath in the Lavendar stuff you add to the tub...and then I massage her down in the lotion. And, if nothing else- I love the way she smells afterwards.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

You are so right. This parenting thing is a total guessing game. I keep waiting for Isabella to wake up one day and be able to talk and tell me exactly what's wrong with her. I think I'll be waiting for quite some time.

RE: swaddling. We swaddled Isabella at night and for naps until about a month ago. When not swaddled, she'd wake up continually because she didn't have proper control of her arms and hands yet, and she'd keep whacking herself in the face and waking herself up. Finally, though, we moved back to the sleep sacks again, and she seems to be doing okay. Plus, the "Swaddle Me" swaddles come in sizes that fit up to a year, so that must mean some babies are swaddled that long.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I'm glad you are getting more sleep! d is on Prilosec and it did wonders for her. It took almost 2 weeks before all of her symptoms cleared - and every now and then she has a rough day. Plus, we still swaddle her.

Keep doing what you're doing - it seems to be working!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Mama's Moon said...

Ha! Most days you can examine MY walls and usually expect to find my tracks from climbing them all day. The Big Guy's at the 'why' age - why is this blue, why is a ship a ship, on and on and on. Then there's my ten-month old going on three. Uy!

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home