Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I cry when I pee and other stories

Adventures in Babywearing tagged me last week to post six random things about me.

Oh, I can be random, all right....

1. When I was a baby, my father used to take me for rides on his motorcycle. I even had my own little baby helmet. Still ... the horrors of putting a baby on a motorcycle!!! And I remember burning my foot on his engine when I was four years old because he thought he'd take me for a ride without putting my shoes on first. Boo daddy! Despite this, my first vehicle was a scooter -- again my dad's influence. I used to ride it to work and school, pretending to be all metropolitan-y Italian when really people just made fun of me. After I was in a bad crash in a car, I refused to ride the scooter any more because I knew if a crash in one of the safest cars put me in the hospital for three days, I'd have been roadkill on a scooter.

2. My husband has rescued four baby turtles from our pool and has been keeping them in tanks inside until he can build a nice pond for them. The biggest one is now easily five inches long. I cannot wait for this pond.

3. Sometimes in the morning, I cry/weep/have watery eyes when I pee. Maybe I should ask Dr. Oz about that one.

4. When I was in kindergarten, first grade and second grade, I didn't grow. My parents asked my doctor about it, and he suggested they sit on me. I was apparently kind of a hyper kid and was also involved in lots of dance and gymnastics classes, and the doctor said I was burning up all my energy and didn't have any left to grow. When my parents told me about this years later, I was really annoyed because I could have been much taller! My father was 6'2", and I'm taller than my shrimpy mother but I'm still only 5'4". So you wonder why so many of those gymnasts and ice skaters are so little? That's why!

5. I suck at a lot of things, but I do them anyway because I like to.

6. For the life of me, I can't figure out how some bloggers can post something rather ho-hum like "Today I threw away a box of cookies," and they still get 115 comments! (If you posted about throwing away cookies, I'm not talking about you. I just made that up.) I guess some bloggers are just that popular! I say good for them!

I'm supposed to tag six people, but I'm just going to leave this one up to you -- yes, you -- if you're reading this. Because if I tag you, and you've already done it, or if you're really stressed out right now and the last thing you really want to do is write some random crap about yourself, or if you want to watch the season finale of Lost again that you Tivo'd, or if you'd rather be playing outside and in the back of your head you're like "But Damselfly (who calls herself Damselfly anyway?!) tagged me and I feel this obligation pulling me to the blog and it's hanging over my head like that green stuff from You Can't Do That on Television," I don't want you to hate me. But if you feel like doing it, you can say I tagged you.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

I am cracking up at the doc's advise to your parents about sitting on you!

8:29 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

i too am a child of a motorcycle daddy!! i can't believe to this day my mother let me ride as often and as young as i was!! there is no way his little granddaughter is taking a ride anytime soon!!

and i sooo agree with your #6!!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I smiled when I read #6. I sometimes think the very same thing! But I'm with you...I say, "Good for them!"

10:16 AM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I would freak out if my husband put my kids on a morotcycle.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I don't even have 115 readers.

My most momentous posts (like having a baby) only garner me about 20 comments!

Oh well. Guess I'm not that exciting.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh you make me laugh. DEFINITELY email Dr. Oz about the pee thing. And you know the comment factor is not necessarily about what the blogger posted but most likely people just wanting to "be seen" in the comments!

Steph

11:59 AM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

You're hilarious!!
Turtles?! Yay! We just built a little fountain/pond in our backyard and we are LOVING it, so far.

2:05 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Thank you, THANK YOU for not tagging me! Groovy can't handle any more stress right now - thankyouVERYmuch!

My Dad let me smoke his pipe and eat candy between meals. It's a guy thing, I think. Although my husband actually tends to be more careful and protective than I do, so maybe it's a certain guys' thing.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I didn't know you cry when you pee.

I'm glad you're short!!! I don't feel so small around you. You've got two inches on me, babe!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I wonder if there is some magical number where the blogger just stops reading the comments. I once read something on dooce.com and there were something like 300 comments. I'm thinking she gave up at 75, you know?

LOL on the pee story. Maybe your bladder is just so grateful to be emptied after the long night?

4:42 PM  
Blogger Lissete said...

Your #4 practically made me pee my pants! But I did not cry or weep! :) I'm frakin' 5'0" so you're a giant next to me. Maybe if my parents had sat on me, things would have been different???? :)))

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Can't Do That on Television <--- LOVED that show growing up ... hehe

That is by far one of the best randoms I have read!

6:12 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

great post D! I liked number 6 too. I don't get it.

Wordless Wednesday is the only time I get a lot of comments, but that's only because I go around and comment back. That's just wordless wednesday, not regular readers.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

That was the best meme I've read for a long time. haha!! And yeah...I can't figure out how some bloggers post about "throwing out a box of cookies" and get 115 comments either!!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

What interesting details of your life. Scary to think what our parents did with us and we'd never do as parents ourselves. We use to ride in the backs of trucks all over the place. So glad we never got into an accident.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Re No. 6 -- I've wondered about that too!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

I loved this. I did make me want to do a "random" post!
I had to laugh about the "throwing the cookies away" comment because I so understand. I can write a long, heartfelt piece and receive barely any feedback, only to go to a blog with a one sentence piece and see over 100 comments. I really is quite amazing and puzzling...like high school all over again :).

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home