Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Discovery in flight

Sometime a couple weeks ago at a park, Fly followed the loud roar of an airplane, looked up into the sky and noticed a jet flying overhead for the first time -- as little ones probably do. He's been frightened of whirring sounds in the past: lawn mowers, the hand mixer, a toy featuring colorful gears and, heck, even the bubble machine we got for his first birthday. So (maybe a little too brightly), I taught him the word airplane. Perhaps a bit too enthusiastically, I indicated an airplane was a good thing. Just like the big smile I put on when I vacuum and the oh-this-is-so-much-fun giddiness I display when I absolutely have to use the blender.

After that day, no airplane or helicopter has gone unnoticed by Fly.

He hears the airplane engine before I do and begins yelling, "Ay-pen! Ay-pen!"

I have never noticed so many airplanes before in my life.

Whatever we are doing, we stop and search the sky to see what is flying over. Sometimes, the airplane is gone by the time we hear it. Sometimes, clouds keep our aerial entertainment from view. But other times, we are lucky, and a small plane is flying low enough for us to see everything.

"Bye-bye!" Fly says, and waves.

If a boat zips by on the canal two blocks away, it is an airplane. A motorcycle revving down the street is an airplane. A neighbor using a chainsaw is an airplane.

But at least Fly isn't frightened.

Now, maybe I am fueling a fire that doesn't need to be tended. And Fly is likely too young to fully appreciate this anyway. But I suggested to JP we take Fly to see the real deal.


Can it be?


Is that ...?


Big airplanes?!


Coming and going

Even though Fly is too young to remember this day -- too small to grasp what an airplane really is -- I am glad to present him with new challenges, so to speak. He is little, but I am still going to draw out his interests, shepherd his wonder and help him discover this new world he is learning about more and more every day.

Rather than dismissing something as being lost on him, I want to be the one to help open his eyes. Instead of thinking he couldn't possibly understand something, I will give him a try. When Fly turns his attention to something, I want to be there to guide him and encourage his curiosity.

I want to show him the world -- and at the same time, I want to see the world through his eyes.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

What an incredible mom you are. I love the expressions on his face. Isabella is a huge airplane fan too. I love the idea of taking her to see them "in person."

8:20 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

oh his face honey!

sooo excited :)

the best teacher fly will ever have is you! forever and always.

10:02 AM  
Blogger ♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥ said...

fantastic blog!! so gald i am back to share in Fly's world! YAY!

hugz n love~Blessings!

a-licious

10:38 AM  
Blogger ♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥ said...

oops GLAD im back...lol

10:39 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Beautiful!! What a joy for both of you!--the excitement on his face made me grin.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

What a great idea. I should take my boys to do this one day.

The look of joy on your son's face says it all. A great memory you will both have.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Maternal Mirth said...

You did something so wonderful for Fly... you can see it in that CUTE face :)

5:25 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

What a sweet sweet experience. You rock, taking him to see the planes. I love the look on his face. He is totally amazed!! Hunter is over the moon for planes, trains and big trucks and diggers. It's so fun to raise a boy.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

He looks like he had a wonderful time!! We'd love to join you next time!

I think it's great that you're not denying him experiences just because "he won't remember." He might not remember specific details of this day, but the experiences he had will add together with all the other experiences he has to form the person he will become.

Am I making any sense?

8:40 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

You never know...it might be one of his earliest memories!!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

How exciting!

Q-ster first recognized and said "Ah-pen!" as we were leaving the emergency room at one in the morning - something to brighten up a croupy night.

11:50 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

That is such a neat experience for both of you! I love the excitement on his face!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Code Yellow Mom said...

I LOVE that look of wonder and interest!

I came here via Scribbit...Hi!

And I just read your post "More Love" - you hit the nail on the head in so many ways. Sometimes it's so hard to gauge what to do and what not to do without a parenting role model...I run into little bits of childhood baggage almost every day while I try and parent my little boys. But you are so right: love is the bottom line. And there can never be too much for a child. Fly is a blessed little boy.

7:40 AM  
Blogger ames said...

Hi. Just discovered you via scribbit, I think you're cool. And your little guy is just precious! Looking forward to following your adventures :)

8:29 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

This is my first visit to your site, and yes, it's because I read your interview on Scribbit. I enjoyed your answers, and had to come see this adorable baby for myself. (He really IS adorable, by the way. But like you need me to tell you that.)

I'm not a mom yet, but I'm enjoying watching my niece grow up. She'll be two in September, and every time I visit with her she's learned something new or discovered something new. It's a lot of fun, and I'm growing ever more excited to experience that "shepherding," as you call it, for myself.

I'll be back to read your blog again. Thanks for sharing your wonderful parenting discoveries and lessons, as well as your adorable flybaby.

11:17 AM  
Blogger The Random Muse said...

I went through laughter and oh-that-is-too-cute, then settled on I really hope I can do this for any future children of mine.

Oh, and Michell says hello.

1:24 PM  
Blogger MamaCta! said...

What a beautiful boy you have!

Found you thru Scribbit, who I found thru Metropolitan Mama. I'm fairly new in the blog world but enjoying this immensely, catching a glimpse into the lives of other moms.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I think that's a great sentiment.. show him the world but also see it through his eyes. We're taking my boys to the airport tomorrow to see the planes, he loves them as well!

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home