Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday the 13th -- a pre-Halloween horror story

Friday, Oct. 13:

Friday the 13th. In October. Heeby-jeeby-sheesh.

Anyway, yesterday, Star suggested joining the land of people living normal lives, getting out of the house and joining her at the mall for a brief trip. So I agreed to meet her there. (BTW, Star is looking great and can't wait to have her own little boy in just a few short weeks!)

Remember when you were a teen and you had to look absolutely perfect in order to go anywhere? Especially the mall? Because the mall is a place to see and be seen. Not just for shopping. No? Am I the only one?

But me now with 5-week-old Flybaby? Looking perfect's not happening.

First, I am juggling Fly, a stroller I haven't yet learned how to open and close, my purse, a diaper bag and a Gymboree gift I thought I'd take back. (Don't you think 50 blankets and bibs is enough?)

Then as I'm ready to go out the door, it starts pouring rain.

So I get my rain jacket, which is the dorkiest thing ever, even if it does the job.

(No babies got cold or wet in the making of this blog.)

Even with the hood up on my jacket, though, my hair frizzes up something awful.

At the mall, we all go into Bath & Body Works (one of my favorite stores!). I used one of the cup holders on the stroller to carry a bottle of body lotion. So what do I set on the counter at the checkout? A bottle of breast milk, which was in the opposite holder. The cashier actually said, "Don't give me the bottle."

Then we head over to Gymboree, where the woman behind the counter taking my exchange turns out to be my neighbor, and I didn't even realize it.

How embarrassing.

And I look the way I look.

To complete the whole awkwardness of the trip, I come home and discover the thread around the waistband of the only jeans that now fit me (not maternity anymore, thank goodness) is dangling from my butt. You know what denim thread is like -- it's thick and orange. It couldn't be a nice wispy invisible thread, no.

I walked around the mall with a tail.

And frizzy hair.

And a stupid rain jacket.

I am so ready for Halloween now.

9 Comments:

Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

The joys of motherhood...I don't even think I have looked great once since the babe was born. There is always something like spit-up or messy hair because she likes to pull the clip out.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

Andrew's been gone all week on business in New Orleans and it's been a fabulous excuse to forget make-up and curlers and cooking and dishes. I've still done the shower thing, but that's about it. He's coming home in a few hours so I'm frantically cleaning (well, obviously not that frantically if I'm checking out your blog) to detox the house before he shows up at 2. I love grunge days once in a while.

2:17 PM  
Blogger j.sterling said...

ah.. being a mom. whenever i see the perfectly made up girls now i laugh and think "wait til you have kids". and then curse them as i walk away

3:27 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You are already out of your maternity jeans? In a mere month... you kick booty, woman and Flybaby is C.U.T.E.!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, anyone who's ever been a mom is familiar with the difficulty of being polished with a new baby. Don't sweat it -- we've all been there! :-)

4:42 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

Ugh! You poor thing :(

Yes, I remember the days of dressing up for the mall. Hell, I used to even like to stalk around after work, in my Melrose Place suit and heels - lookit those grungy mummies, i'd think.

So yesterday we went to the Mall. Hubs was back from 10days in the States, so my hair was nice and I had makeup on. However, I was wearing some very old capris and an even older shirt. My shoes were flat and scuffed.

But I was happy. That is, until we got to the mall. A mall that refers to itself as "The Fashion Capital", and it's Spring Racing Carnival Time here too. All the women walking around were dressed like models, I swear. Talk about the Devil Wearing Prada. I was Mommy McDowdy and definately in the wrong mall :(

To make matters worse, we were there to go to K-Mart, on the lowest level, in the dark, where only the scummy people go.

*sigh* ;)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Get used to it! lol

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, honey, I promise I didn't notice any frizzy hair or a tail of any kind!! It was great to have you and Flybaby hanging out with me at the mall! I AM sorry it started raining, though, that's gotta make struggling with a stroller pretty tough. I guess I'll know pretty soon!

2:39 AM  
Blogger SlushTurtle said...

I pretty much looked like crap until Hatchling was at least two. Thankfully, my husband is insane enough to think I look best in a ponytail and no makeup. It gets better eventually!

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home