Wednesday, September 06, 2006

How to have a baby

Wednesday, Sep. 6:

People are calling left and right to see if there's a baby yet. And to offer, um, helpful advice about how to hurry things along. I guess they're impatient.

My mother and sister call.

"If I was there, I'd drive you down some bumpy country road!" my mother says.

Gee, sounds relaxing. Thanks, Mom.

My across-the-street neighbor calls.

"Just wait until the next full moon. That's when my sons were born," she says.

"I think it is a full moon," I say. (It's actually tomorrow.)

My next-door neighbor comes home while I'm checking the mailbox and helps me gather up the empty trash cans from the curb.

"Eat jalepenos or play Frisbee," she tells me.

I guess she would know -- she works in administration for some neonatalogists. I like imagining them playing Frisbee in their white lab coats.

A friend calls and thankfully doesn't give any tips on how or when to have this baby. But in the past, she has mentioned probably the most famous method of all: makin' love.

Then my doula, aka Charlie Brown, comes over so she and JP can finally meet. She says she thinks we will be holding the baby within a week.

But it may be sooner than soon anyway. I have been feeling crampy and ill since about one this morning....

9 Comments:

Blogger LBA said...

OoOoOOhhh .. exciting about feeling sick ( from my perspective anyway, i'm sure YOU feel just awful about it ;)

I was 10days over with my bonny bouncer .. so simply hid indoors and took the phone off the hook so no-one could offer me advice, or hassle me to "give birth, already !"

Better overcooked than underdone !

Good luck !! :)

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I may have noted before that my doctors and CNMs always gave us a 41 week due date, so people weren't hassling you quite so soon.

Hee-hee. By my 3rd child I thought I knew the drill. But I was wrong. Baby #3--a girl after two boys--came on a day I'd stayed home from work feeling sorta sick (diahrea). Didn't realize I was in labor until about 5pm, when I finally noticed contractions. I think she was born around 7:30pm! She just turned 16 on September 4th! :)

So maybe your doula is right!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I am Soooooo excited for you. Any day now!!

My son was a few days late and we tried long walks, eating Mountain Mike's pizza (which by the way my DOCTOR agreed might work--wtf?) and having sex. What really kicked it into gear, though, was finding out we had sold our house (we were in the process of trying to sell our house during my pregnancy). I think that the release of all that stress and the relief that we had sold it, made my body go into labor. It was truly a weird thing how it happened.

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a great delivery. I can't wait to hear!!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Nichole said...

I heard it all when I was pregnant.

Good luck!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Full moon last night...baby are you here yet? We're all anxiously awaiting your arrival, especially your mommy and daddy.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Where is the "have sex" advice? That's supposed to be the big one but I wouldn't know cuz I had scheduled inducements/c-sections!

Good luck... thinking labor-y thoughts for you!

1:20 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

Well, all very exciting - no updates !!

That can only mean the next update is the big one !! whoo-hoo !

Hope it all went well for you.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you hate all that advice? It drove me insane! Baby will come when it comes and it will be the perfect time. Enjoy!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey people! Take a look at Damselfly's profile. Her icon isn't pregnant anymore! :)

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home