Tuesday, August 29, 2006

And now, the incredible Visible Woman

Tuesday, Aug. 29:

This could be my last weekly appointment with my Ob.

I didn't make an appointment for next week. And no one at the office reminded me to. Scary. So what happens after Friday -- my due date -- I have no idea.

The doctor is cheerful today as she breezes in and tells me I smell good (and I'm not wearing perfume). She says there's no dilation, but the baby's head is right there. She says that should mean the baby won't have a problem fitting through my pelvic bones. Yay!

"Have you had any contractions yet?" she asks.

"I don't know."

"That means no."

I finally remember to tell her about my doula. She thinks a doula is a good idea.

She also likes the cord blood registry idea, which I tell her next. She says she would do it if she had a baby now. I left the cord blood issue up to JP, whose co-workers talked it up to him and recommended a company to him. I have my doubts about how useful the blood will actually be. But JP likes the idea, made all the calls and signed us up. Now we're just waiting for a kit to arrive in the mail. My Ob says I can take a competing company's kit home with me -- just in case I go into labor tonight, for example -- and bring it back if I don't need it. Otherwise, the kit is $250. Which is just great that it's raining when I leave the office, and some words on the kit's outer paper start to run....

I also tell my doctor I am turning blue with all the veins that have appeared close to the surface of my skin. I mean, I almost look like those Visible Man educational toys that let you see organs and bones and stuff. She says it's because I have 50% more blood in my body now. Nothing to worry about -- it will go away.

Man, is this post super boring or what?! This baby needs to come so I have something to blog about.

In the meantime, have you seen the pregnancy time-lapse video on the Web? The Early Show featured it today. I chronicled my entire pregnancy, too. Only I did it with this blog....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that you're willing and able to tell us about the delivery and that you don't stop blogging once the baby is born.

Because you'll still be "Growing a Life!"

2:23 PM  
Blogger Nichole said...

What's more, you probably won't want to blog for a while after delivery. I know I didn't feel like doing anything that required a fully functioning brain until Eleana was about 3 months old!

Good luck good luck good luck! I agree with Margie though, I want to hear about your labor experience too.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I was going to say something like soleclaw said about not feeling like blogging for a while, and that's OK... but I couldn't figure out a way to say it that didn't sound, um, discouraging.

Everyone's experience is different. I "rolled with the punches" and was "up and at em" within a few days. But I had easy deliveries, exercised regularly so I was in good shape for the stress of labor, and all went well. Some people aren't that lucky--so don't feel like you must post right away. Just know that there are many of us looking forward to hearing how it went, and learning all about your adventures in mommyhood. :)

7:38 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

I am not bored - you totally took me back to something I had forgotten ( the whole 'they never made another appt for me - yikes' thing )

I can't wait to meet your babe.
They are such lovely things to have and to hold :)

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home