Friday, November 07, 2008

Santa's lap, being drunk and other stories

I realized yesterday there are only 20 days until Thanksgiving! This is a perfect time to do Metropolitan Mama Stephanie's meme of posting seven things about you and holidays. Thanks for tagging me!

1. Some of you know my real name, and that's why sometimes I like to call them the Hollydays instead of the holidays. I can be cheesy like that.

2. I was born during this time of year, as my name suggests. So most of the time, I can't remember if a gift someone gave me a while back was for my birthday or for Christmas. And no wonder -- sometimes they're even the same gift!

3. The first time I remember sitting on Santa's lap, I was four years old. And I seriously freaked out! I didn't want to have anything to do with Santa. I didn't sit on Santa's lap again until I was 16 and with a group of friends at the mall doing some Christmas shopping together, and they wanted to have their picture taken with him. Against my better judgment, I went along with them. I'm not sure Santa enjoyed having a bunch of teenagers sitting on his lap -- or maybe he did, which makes it worse, now that I think about it.... I will never make Fly take a picture with Santa.

4. My parents divorced when I was little, so while growing up, I got to celebrate most holidays and birthdays twice. That was probably the only perk of that arrangement. Now, I am happy to celebrate the holidays just once. Mostly because I really don't need to gain twice the weight!

5. Have you ever been drunk on music? I have. The first time I experienced it was while singing at a candlelight Christmas Eve service. Mesmerizing....

6. I can't eat sweet potatoes. They kind of make me gag. But someone in my family makes a sweet potato casserole that I just can't get enough of. Go figure. When it comes to holiday meals, within my family, I'm known for my stuffing. But all I do is take Stove Top and add things to it. Too bad I can't be recognized for something more difficult and harder to cook!

7. In college, I was a waitress and loved working on New Year's Eve because of the happy atmosphere and the great tips. Later, JP and I used to host a New Year's Day brunch, which I loved cooking and having everyone over for. It rivaled Thanksgiving in the amount of food we served. Lately, though, we've taken New Year's Day to visit a national park or wildlife refuge. There are hardly any crowds!

Feel free to do the holiday meme if you like!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Maternal Mirth said...

When this post popped up on my blog roll, the title made me do a double-take ... ok, so it also made me click so fast I think I may have sprained my finger.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

We don't do the whole sitting on Santa's lap thing around here, either. My kids cry about everything so I'm sure they'd cry about seeing Santa, so I just don't try.

I'm really wanting to try Disneyland with my little brood, but am so afraid that they'll cry as soon as they see Mickey Mouse so we haven't tried that yet, either.

6:02 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

We did the same thing with multiple holidays because of my divorced parents. When I was young, I loved it and now I hate it because it means we spend the majority of our time traveling between houses (they all live 2-3 hours apart) rather than enjoying their company. I hadn't even thought about the multiple meals/extra calories aspect.

I love the New Years brunch idea. Since we will probably not be out celebrating the night before, we might just do something like that!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Yep, I agree...Santa can be scary to kids!! :) Tate doesn't even know who Santa is yet...I guess we're not big into santa...so no, we would never MAKE him sit on Santa's lap either. :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Ah yes, the double celebrations. I know them well. And now, I'm married to someone who also has divorced parents, so we do a whole lot of celebrating during the holidays.

PS: Santa is scary to kids. And sometimes to adults, too. ;)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

My mom's birthday is the day after Christmas so I always try to make sure I get her a birthday present and wrap it in birthday paper. Of course she always opens it Christmas eve with the rest of the Christmas gifts but that's her choice I guess!

1:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very fun! It's nice to see that someone else has a birthday close to the holidays. My birthday is exactly 18 days after christmas. Fortunately it's always been far enough apart that I got two presents and two celebrations.

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe Funny about Santa Claus!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

I love it - Hollydays.

I never the Santa thing either. I thought it was weird growing up, even though my parents made it do it a couple of times.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for playing along! I loved reading your list...and how fun to finally know your real name. :)

I have to say - I love sweet potatoes. Even just baked with a little butter and brown sugar. Mmmm...

12:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sweetie, I would convert you to my sweet potato bake as well. But we'd just eat it once because these are definitely calorie-filled!

1:51 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

you are kinda cheesy. But I like cheese and I like you.

someone in my fam makes a killer sweet potato dish also.

3:35 PM  
Blogger jodifur said...

please don't say 20 days until thanksgiving. I've got to start cooking!

6:51 PM  
Blogger White Hot Magik said...

Completely with it on #3 and #5, Not so much on #6. I have been so blogging behind lately it isn't even funny. Good to catch up.

11:11 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

i am currently drunk on music :)

nothing like it!!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Kirsetin Morello said...

Very fun post! I agree--that whole Santa thing can be freaky. We were at the mall today & they were already getting the Christmas area set up. My 6-year old said, "Mom do you think Santa's here today? I mean, you know, the fake one." I laughed out loud. But at least he wasn't scared.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

I'd love to come to one of those brunches thank you very much :)

10:10 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Ah...Happy Hollydays are coming soon!

9:44 AM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Oh, I love it! My dh and my mom are Christmas babies, too.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home