Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Who wears the maternity pants in the family?

Wednesday, May 3:

Last night’s episode of According to Jim really made me laugh. When Dana announces she is expecting, Jim dreams he is pregnant and that men are the ones who carry babies. If the tables were turned, how would men deal with being pregnant and giving birth? How would women? In the end, Jim wakes up and is a lot more sensitive to his sister-in-law Dana and pregnant women in general.

- - - - -

Cheryl: What is this?

Jim: It’s my new paternity Bears jersey.

Cheryl: Oh, come on. You’re only going to wear that for a month.

Jim: I can wear it when I’m losing my pregnancy weight after the baby.

Cheryl: How long is that going to take?

Jim’s band: (starts booing and complaining about her comment; they’re all wearing paternity clothes, too -- almost like the band I’m in!)

- - - - -

One thing I didn’t like about the show: The over-the-top generalizations about pregnant women -- whiny, always having weird cravings, being jealous, getting moody over nothing, etc. It’s too bad pop culture keeps perpetuating this stereotype.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home