Friday, August 04, 2006

You can learn a lot from a dummy

Thursday, Aug. 3:

JP and I attend a "family and friends" CPR class tonight. It's not for people who need to get certified for their job, for example, but instead for people who want to know the basics if they need to spring into action in everyday situations (the most scary kind, right?). Most of the people in the class are expecting or already have infants.

Apparently, the methods have recently changed, the nurse instructor tells the class, which is the first to watch a new video showing the new guidelines.

And we all get dummies -- adult dummies and then baby dummies. (Thank goodness for the plastic bags to cover the mouth area so you're not making out with someone else's germs!) I think I must be slightly allergic to latex, rubber or whatever plastic was on the dummies because after a while, I had to push my dummy away from me and just watch. We also learned about choking and the Heimlich maneuver.

I recommend it!

It was $24 and three hours well spent -- but of course, no one hopes to ever have to use CPR on anyone.

2 Comments:

Blogger LBA said...

I am pathetically non-trained in all things important and of the emergency-kind :(

Ack !
I really must do something like this ....

7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ever since I had my daughter, I've had a nagging sense of responsibility to take a CPR class. Good reminder!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home