Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Dear Daddy



The approach of this Father's day has brought so many joyous emotions. This year, my dad's birthday is on Father's day, which happens about once every 10 years or so. The year I was born, I was due on my father's birthday, and it coincidently fell on father's day. Alas, I made my appearance late and showed up three days after Father's day. This year, our family (my husband, daughter, and I) have the distinct honor to spend Father's day in London with my parents.

Dear Daddy,

You have always been so special to me just because you are my daddy, but there are so many other reasons why you are so important to me. My earliest memories with you I look upon with prodigious fondness. I remember far more than you perhaps realize.

My first memory I have of you is when we were overlooking the Grand Canyon. I can recollect holding tight to your hand an feeling safety being near you. I can still close my eyes and reminisce our trip to Knott's Berry Farm and the parachute ride. I can recall the first horse you bought so we would have the "pony" we always wanted. I reflect on the hunting trips we took with Pop Pop and how I was never told I could not do anything because I was a girl. You inspired me to be all that I could be. I can recapture all the moments that I cherish. They are so dear to my heart.

I reflect on the many hours you worked that we may have the things you wish you had when you were small. You encouraged all our dreams. I can still think back to the support we all received when we wanted to do something. You never discouraged us from any of those impossibilities. No. Not for your children. They were smarter and could do better for themselves. You always believed we could do anything we wanted. You supported my dreams of becoming an Olympic bicyclist, horseback rider, track and field star, and swimmer. You encouraged my creative writing and assured me I could be the next Ernest Hemingway or Edgar Allen Poe. You advocated my dream to become an oncologist, attorney, and politician. You endorsed my aspiration to study abroad TWICE and in fact financially assured my travels. You stimulated my lifelong love for learning and eagerness to attend college. Your example you set illustrated the importance of hard work, sacrifice, self-sufficiency, and their correlation to success.

There are numerous memories I revere, but the benefaction you bestowed went well beyond tangible gifts. What I learned from your life, your love, and your example are all fortuitous and incalculable blessings we received as your children. I learned to stand up for what is right. I learned that respect has nothing to do with the age of a person; respect is earned. You taught me that humor can heal almost any wound. You taught me to get my education, preserve my health in my youth because you do not get a second chance, and live without regret because life is too short. You taught me to take care of myself, because no one else will. You taught me to beware of handouts; they often have a price tag of obligation and not to become obligated to anyone. You taught me not to expect anything from anyone. You taught me that being a parent has little to do with DNA and everything to do with the life moments, which are opportunities to teach. There is an abundance of lessons I learned from you Daddy.

I thank you for being a living example of what a husband, father, provider, and man should be. I thank you for the values, morals, and ethics you taught all three of us children. You are one of a kind.

For all these things, I thank you. I will not forget the impact you had on my life. Thank you for all the overtime you worked through the years to ensure our memorable vacations and trips. I love you.




Stay-at-home mom, runner, disgruntled...

Laura blogs at My Beautiful Life and lives in San Diego, California with her husband, 19 month old baby girl, two dogs, and a cat. She blogs about anything that comes to mind, which is often running, her adorable daughter or various randomness.

You can find more info about the Blog Exchange and how to participate, as well as the June participants and entries, by clicking here. Damselfly is at Laura's place today!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Damselfly said...

Hey! My father's birthday falls on Father's Day once in a while too. But I don't have a relationship with him the way you have with your dad. That's great! Thanks for trading posts with me today.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for being my partner. It has been a lot of fun!

12:40 PM  
Blogger Jenn in Holland said...

This is a great tribute to what sounds like a wonderful man. I am one of the lucky ones with a daddy like that too. Father's Day always makes me smile. I love to honor the great ones!

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should totally print this up and give it to your dad for Father's Day. I am sure that it would move him to tears. You both are very lucky. I never had anything close to this with my dad.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

What a lovely letter to your Dad.

5:00 PM  
Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

I agree with Kim, print this and put a ribbon around it. A lovely letter.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Dayngr said...

You're gonna get me all misty eyed over here.

My birthday usually is the day before or the day after but rarely falls on - I wonder if we have the same bday?!

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home