Thursday, June 07, 2007

Nine in, nine out

Flybaby is nine months old today!

And I'm telling you, I insist he is talking.

If Fly wakes up before an appropriate hour of the morning (say, before 6 am), JP usually goes to him in his room, changes him and brings him to snuggle between us. Flybaby usually falls asleep, and we can all rest a little bit more. Three humans and a cat.

That's what happened this morning. When JP went to get Fly, I rolled over and covered my face so Flybaby wouldn't see me. Part of the trick of getting him to go back to sleep is playing possum. But invisible is even better.

Fly is getting too smart for it, though. Just when we thought he was going to settle down and sleep, he noticed me lying next to him.

"Hi! Hi! Hi! Hi!" he said, slapping my side.

Now who could play possum with a darling baby doing that to her? So I said "Hi!" back, and got up and nursed him.

(All right, I admit sometimes it does sound like he's saying "he" or "hey," but still. I think he knows what he's saying.)

Also, he might be making the baby sign for "change." He motioned something like it a couple days ago, and when I checked him out, the diaper had slid over so the edge was going up the middle of his butt. And I really don't think Flybaby was going for the thong diaper look. Not comfy for crawling....

Flybaby hasn't been a great eater lately, though. Maybe more teeth are coming in -- I guess seven and a half teeth aren't enough. I was trying to get him to eat breakfast a couple days ago when JP came in the room.

JP: (opening mouth) Ahhh!

Flybaby: (blank stare)

JP: You've got to eat, little man. If you don't eat, you're not going to grow out of your clothes fast enough. And your mama will be sad that she can't buy you new stuff. And your friend Lancelot will laugh at you and say, "Oh, you've already worn that outfit!" That's right, and Mr. Big Lashes is also going to get bigger than you. Do you want your friend to get bigger than you?

Flybaby: (blank stare)

Me: ROFL with a baby spoon in my hand

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin M said...

ok, I couldnt pretend to sleep through that either, i would be compelled to respond

I think it's a crime to let cuteness go unacknowledged

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww...he gets cuter with every pic!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Happy 9 months, Fly. It's amazing how quickly they change, isn't it? One minute he's saying, "hi," and the next he's reciting Shakespeare.

And there must be something about the age and not eating very well. Isabella spits most of what I feed her back in my face-literally. It's very fun picking food out of my hair each evening.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Dayngr said...

Happy 9 mos!

Now that is a cute conversation. Glad you recorded here for posterity.

As for talking, I wouldn't doubt it. My little guy was saying mama at 9 months and then shortly after dada and hi and bye. Before long you won't be able to keep him quiet. Enjoy all the steps along the way.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Bon said...

Flybaby is obviously a genius of communication...maybe he can come over and work on the baby sign for "change" with O, who still pretends complete ignorance of what he doesn't enjoy. :)

he's a real cutie.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a cute story! He is so adorable!

6:45 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

9 months is such a happy age!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has it really been NINE months? Wow. Did you throw yourself an Inside Outside party yet? http://www.rookiemoms.com/inside-out/

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home