Thursday, July 31, 2008

He called me Mama

It was 10:30 at night. I padded across the floor of Fly's room to his dresser. Almost noiselessly, I opened the top drawer and felt around for his nail clippers. I once refused to trim his fingernails while he slept, too afraid to risk waking him up. But Fly's nails were almost as long as mine. I had let the nail trimming slide in the past few weeks, and it showed. Time to perform the delicate operation.

Behind my back, Fly stirred. I paused my search, then continued feeling around, sure he had to be asleep by now. He hadn't wanted to nurse to sleep. JP rocked him for a while, then put Fly to bed still fussing. He just had to be asleep.

"Mama?"

Oops.

Wait-- He called me Mama? Fly calls JP Dad, and he knows to say Elmo, but he has never, ever called me by name.

I turned around, and there was a sweet little face looking at me. Fly was standing. How long had he been watching me?

"Sweetie, why are you up? Did I wake you?" I said. But my guess was he hadn't fallen asleep yet.

Fly seemed so happy to see me. And I was so happy to finally be called Mama.

I talked to him soothingly, gave him a change, wrapped him in a blanket (not quite a swaddle -- it's a bedtime habit) and sat down with him in the chair. Fly snuggled close. He lay quietly in my lap. His eyes eventually closed. He drifted to sleep.

With his Mama.



Labels: ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Aww... I still remember the first time I hear The Boy calling for me. His sweet pure voice through the silent house... it will probably stay with me (and you) forever!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Bliss

4:04 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

how sweet friend.

a true heart flip flop mama moment :)

4:06 PM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

Doesn't it just make your heart turn to goo?

Lance was calling Hubby "Daddy" LONG before I ever earned the name "Mommy." LOL!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww how wonderful!!!! Thank you for sharing such an amazing moment!

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww -- so sweet! Still waiting for my little guy to say my name. Little stinker has left me for last (after "daddy" and both his siblings).

6:12 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

What a precious moment. Your heart must be filled joy.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

yay for mama!!

8:12 PM  
Blogger sealaura said...

thanks for stopping by my blog :)
I like your writing style, what a sweet moment.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Mommy to those Special Ks said...

He is so cute and what a sweet story!!

Thank you for praying for my daughter Kennedy during her surgery! We appreciate it! I've added you to my google reader and look forward to getting to know your family!

11:33 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

That is so sweet. And where did you get the stinking cute woody wagon? My kids love all things Pixar! We must have that toy!

11:38 PM  
Blogger Jenn (Life's Sweet Melody) said...

Awww...I'm looking forward to the day Baby K knowingly calls me mom or mama.

8:19 AM  
Blogger ames said...

Lovely :)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Awwww....what a wonderful moment!! Such sweet words.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Yipee! That's soooo exciting. I know you're just thrilled to no end. What a super special moment. Well worth the wait!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Maternal Mirth said...

*sniff*

I am soooo PMSing ... you are making me all sorts of mistey-eyed.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

How sweet! Mom is still one of my favourite words.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Lissete said...

awwwww. Sweet.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Very sweet:)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Isn't it terrific? Mine started saying "Ma, Ma!" and meaning it this week. He's been mumbling it for a while, but he's saying it with purpose now.

So, did he go back to sleep? Did you get his nails trimmed?

3:30 PM  
Blogger Cassandra Kinaviaq Rae said...

Oh my heaven, that was soooooo cute! Thank you for sweetening my day :~)

3:51 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Awwwww.... You'll always remember that. How very special....

5:36 PM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

It truly is the sweetest word.

11:22 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

Oh man, that is so sweet! I can't wait for my little one to call me mama. What a great feeling!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Awww.. what an incredible moment. Thank you for sharing it.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I know...isn't it just HEART MELTING when they call you mama? Oh, it melts my heart every time...even when Tate sees me across the grocery store and he points and says "mommy, mommy!" :)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

What a sweet moment!

BTW, I still can't get that nail cutting thing figured out at 16 months - we wait until she's gouging chunks out of her face or tripping over her toenails, and then we endure a screaming fighting match. And it's so much work to get her to sleep that I hate the idea of waking her by cutting her nails.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Oh so sweet. Hearing "Mama" still melts my heart.

9:42 PM  
Blogger White Hot Magik said...

Ohh how sweet. Oh how they steal our hearts.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home