Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Momjacked by a girl

Fly and I went to the library yesterday. There is a nice children's play area in the back, with interactive mazes on the walls, fun rugs on the floor and short bins full of board books.

After Fly and I had played for a while, I had hoped he'd settle down and read a book. I grabbed a couple books from the bins and sat down on the floor. Children were playing nearby, however, and it was too great a temptation for him. Fly wasn't going to be still.

But I really wanted to read the board books! My inner child was inwardly stamping my foot.

So I started to read anyway.

Fly paid attention for about one short page, then abandoned me.

I kept reading, hoping he would come back.

He never did.

But a little girl, around three maybe, noticed me reading out loud to no one like an idiot and took pity on me. She scooted across the floor and sat next to me. She asked a question about a page in the book. She was listening to me reading the book! So I kept reading. I looked up every now and then to see Fly playing happily, unaware his mother had been hijacked (momjacked?).

The girl and I finished the book, and I picked up the second. This fun book had hints about animals to guess and flaps to pull down to find out the answer. The girl happily guessed the animals as I read. She softly rested her hand on my leg while I turned the pages.

Is this what girls are like? I wondered. I could get used to this!

Then Fly ran off among the large bookshelves, and I had to jump up and go find him, leaving my sweet little audience behind.

It was nice while it lasted....

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

Aaaww! What a lovely unexpected moment.

12:14 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

How sweet! Little children can be so unexpectedly affectionate. I keep trying to read to my daughter but she won't sit still for even one page. Maybe when she's older.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

He's young yet mama! He'll sit when he's older (probably next year).

1:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Aww.. Elliot won't sit still in the library either, as the kid's section overlooks a road, and he likes to sit on the windowsill and point out all the cars/trucks/buses. When we're at home and everything is a lot less interesting (very few cars by us) then he'll sit and listen and ask questions :) Maybe when Fly is just a little bit older..

2:45 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

My friends have a daughter barely older than my son. She loved sitting to read books long before The Boy, and it made me want a girl even more. Oh well... eh?

:)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

It's funny my two have been the opposite, Dominic loved books at first (still does) and would sit still. Delphine is just now starting to really enjoy reading.

3:09 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

momjacked - honey that is too funny!!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Evan momjacks, dadjacks and has even grandpajacked people. I think it is personality not necessarily gender.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have found that if you start to read children gravitate to you ... And yes it is what it is like to have a little girl ... well some little girls :)

6:26 PM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

You would be so GREAT with a little girl!!

Oh, I have concluded that Kiddo's runny nose today is most likely not a cold- as it is accompanied by diaper rash, low appetite, and tons of pooping-- rather, it seems to be his normal plethora of teething symptoms.

If I know he is sick, I would not bring him over to your house!

8:51 PM  
Blogger ♥ Becky ♥ said...

How adorably sweet is that. But he'll get to a point of sitting down, don't you worry.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet little story :] I wonder what that little girl's mother was thinking...

11:44 PM  
Blogger ♥ Becky ♥ said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. :-) That actually isn't her commute she lives with her Dad. That's my commute to go see the school, and when I have to go get her at her dads sometimes.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Anne/kq said...

Not all girls... My four year old is finally growing into that stage. My two year old only wants to be read to when she's avoiding bed, lol.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Not my little girl. At one time, maybe, but she doesn't sit still for many books lately, unless they have to do with "going to the potty," which we're trying to start. Or Clifford. She likes Clifford too.

Maybe sitting still is a "3" thing?

11:29 AM  
Blogger Maternal Mirth said...

Momjacked ... I love it.

And, no, not all girls are like her. Take Peanut for example. She thinks books are only there for her to chew on.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*most* girls

Isn't it nice when it happens, though?!

Fly will come around. :-)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear ya, sister! Will they ever hold still?

3:57 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

My girls are mellower, but sassier. My boy never stops moving but he is perpetually sweet to me. Meh: I love all their quirks.

4:38 PM  
Blogger dianna said...

My 1st girl: too shy.
My 2nd girl: would have snatched the book from your hand, ripped out the pages, and danced on them while screaming "I be quiet in the library!" at the top of her lungs.

*sigh*
Maybe one day ;)

11:38 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Momjacked! LOL!

Boys and girls are so different! I'm nervous and excited to see it in our family!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home