Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Every war needs a strategy

Wednesday, February 22:

So apparently, there's this thing called the "Mommy wars": to stay home with your child, or not to. Good Morning America had a segment about the Mommy wars today. I guess the Mommy wars have been in the news before, though, because I found a post about how the stay-at-home moms vs. working moms get stirred up over the subject.

I have been working from home for the past three years, so maybe some of the issues here don't apply to me. Or do they? Will I be able to handle working in my home office with my child crying and needing to be changed and fed? I've never done this before, so I really don't know.

If I follow the advice of the woman at the center of the Mommy wars, Linda Hirshman, I suppose I would put my child in daycare even though I am working at home. Or, perhaps, hire someone to take care of my baby in the next room.

That seems weird, though, just thinking about it. I'm at home; the kid is at home; why should I bring someone else into the scene?

Besides, Ms. Hirshman's beliefs are based on a study she did of Ivy League-educated women and where they are today after having had children. I'm sorry if it tarnishes my image, but I didn't go to an Ivy League school.

So once again, maybe this doesn't apply to me.

I guess I'll see what kind of work opportunities unfold the closer I get to the Big Day.

Maybe I'm naive, but I figured mothers of any flavor and employment status would respect one another for their decisions. After all, we aren't all the same. Our circumstances aren't all the same. Priorities change. Every person has to make the work-or-not-work decision for herself. And there are a lot of different factors that go into that decision. We should just be glad we have the freedom to make these decisions.

So if there is really a war going on, who are the soldiers? Who are the generals? And are there any casualties?

1 Comments:

Blogger Marsha Loftis said...

about ten years ago I was running a home day care and I had a mom(a next door neighbor) who would drop off her two children at my house every day monday thru friday from 8 in the morning until 5 pm. Nothing unusual about that except that this women didn't work. We shared the same front yard. I would watch her children and she would sun bathe on the front lawn. I guess she needed mommy time. : )I watched her daughters for four years.

I think working or staying home should be a personal thing. Stay home if you want or work if you want.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home