Thursday, May 18, 2006

The waiting is the hardest (and most necessary) part

Thursday, May 18:

I am now about five months along. I have passed the halfway mark.

Along the way, I wished many times that my husband and I didn’t have to wait so long to meet this new little person our love created. I’m not hoping for a premature baby. It’s just that 38 to 40 weeks seems like a long time to anticipate the arrival of someone new in your life. As I mentioned before, I’m going to spend most of 2006 pregnant, and the rest of the year getting used to taking care of an infant and being a mother.

But also along the way, I realized God must have made the waiting period long for a reason. Not only for the child’s sake -- few things in nature can truly grow overnight -- but also for our sake. This waiting period is for our own good, so we have time to prepare. More and more, it’s harder for me to think back to when we weren’t expecting this baby to come along; this child has taken root not only in my body but also my mind and heart now. It’s happened to my husband, too -- he likes to hug me and say, “I love the both of you.” We also need this time to get ready physically, to gather baby supplies and get our home ready.

And even though this preparation, doctor appointments, baby book and magazine reading, extra sleep and other baby-related activities are taking up some spare time now, I know it’s nothing compared to what’s coming.

People say you’re never really ready for a child, that there’s never a perfect time to have a child. And it’s true. But at least for me, being pregnant and anticipating the baby have made me ready, have made this the perfect time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home