Sunday, April 01, 2007

I Didn't Get the Memo

I have these moments where it all becomes real to me. Like somehow I am in denial that another child is on his way. I was reading blogs and looking at pictures of kids ... it dawns on me that in like no time at all I will be the mother of CHILDREN. I will be one of THOSE moms. I like to think I am pretty good at this gig. I have my moments for sure, but the Mom thing, I got it. Will two mess with that system? Seriously people I am going to be the mother of TWO kids ... why do I feel like I missed the memo?

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that I am pregnant. I have celebrated this pregnancy with a vengeance. I EARNED this pregnancy through blood, sweat and tears ... oh so many tears ... So pregnant I am ... yet somehow, throughout it all the end was always so far. I mean I have been pregnant for almost NINE months, who would have thought the time would ever come.

Becca was premature, due to me getting uber sick. So far I have showed no signs of the pre-eclampsia returning and if it were to now, we might be able to make to term, given enough rest. In like a week and a few days Becca was born (if we were on the same timeline). That totally FREAKS me out. I think it may be playing on the denial too. I am so not READY for a baby in a week and a half. NOT READY!

I was not emotionally ready for Becca at the time either, but I knew no better so I went with the flow, all worked out, w00t. Dudes I so know this time. I need more TIME. I have plans, lists to complete, laundry, labelling, sewing, knitting, bonding time with Becca, and baking, cooking, cleaning, packing ... I am not READY!

How could I have missed the memo that being pregnant leads to more children? I have given little to no thought about life once Ethan is here. Is that odd? I have thought about labour ... what I hope for and how I plan to prepare, however those thoughts have only just begun to percolate in my mind. I do not even know what floor of hospital the Maternity ward is on! How did I let so much time go by and leave me feeling so under prepared? Where was that MEMO?!?!

We were ready in our environment for Becca. All her clothes were washed, folded and neatly organized. Her car seat was installed ~properly~ and we had a cute, simple nursery set up for her. This time around, I have yet to organize the ever growing collection of clothes we have received for Ethan, nothing is laundered, he doesn't have a room (we plan on keeping him with us till we move so he has a corner of a room), the car seat is jammed in a closet somewhere, I have yet to pack for the hospital or prepare in any shape or form.

I didn't get the Memo ...

Chelle is a Stay at Home Mom, expecting her second baby any minute! Canadian and transplanted to Southern California, her blog Crazy Thoughts by Chelle, is a creative outlet and a connection with home. Keeping it real with her beloved Apple computer, designing blog templates and going on endless adventures with a smart, shy toddler. You can find Damselfly, your amazing blog host, over at Crazy Thoughts by Chelle today.

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger Alex Elliot said...

I totally know what you're saying. I do have to say that my second born has such an easy going personality and I think it's because he fit into our life instead of us turning our life upside for his life like we did for our first. He just goes with the flow. With an older sibling, his life is just a lot different than my older son's was when he was a baby. Suddenly naps are sometimes interrupted or delayed because we have to pick his brother up at preschool. Good luck!

7:30 AM  
Blogger jodifur said...

I can't even imagine having two! I could o everything is planned for the 1st one but not the 2nd one b/c of a been there, done that attitude!

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that.
You are going to be a great mother of two!!!!!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

make sure you take notes and tell us all what to do when we have two!

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this when you posted it, Chelle. You're going to be FINE!

8:55 AM  
Blogger ioio said...

I'm not a mom--but I do expect to get a little memo as well...!

Congrats!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Binky said...

Memos are old school. Maybe "BabyCenter email" would be more appropriate ;)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Bon said...

great post...made me smile, and wonder if another doesn't sound like a good idea.

10:44 AM  
Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

First of all, darling Chelle, you, Becca, the hubs and new little baby will be 100% fine.

We are never, ever organized for the subsequent kids. Seriously, they get the left-overs but they also get a little less stress. You know you can't hurt a baby, that missing veggies one day isn't all that bad, and maybe, just maybe they'll still be smart even if they watch, oh 3 hours of tv in one day.

You've got plenty of room in that heart of yours. It'll all be fine.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Julie Marsh said...

Interestingly, I had the opposite experience. With #1, I didn't get the memo - you mean this baby is coming OUT?! With #2, I was actually excited and therefore more into the baby prep.

I just wrote about having two. It's hard - really hard. But the unexpected fun and overwhelming love makes it so rewarding.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Jerri Ann said...

awwww, that just happens with the second one I think.....but as far as coping with two..you'll do fine, Becca's gonna help so much you'll never notice

12:58 PM  
Blogger Karianna said...

Best of luck, Chelle!

1:10 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I remember when you wrote this post Chelle! We're not pg yet, but I sometimes I wonder how I'll handle two as well...although I've always heard having 2 is easier than having 1!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, two (or more) is so rewarding, you'll be fine; chaotic at times, but rewarding. There's no learning curve with how to change a diaper, how to bathe the baby, how to play with a baby. And watching the relationship between the two grow is one of the best parts of being a parent. Just remember, though, that the amount of time it takes to do anything with both of them isn't doubled, it's squared. Great post.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Slackermommy said...

I had a similar feeling when I was pregnant with my second. I was 7 months pregnant and had an overwhelming feeling of "Oh my God, I'm going to have ANOTHER baby" while taking a shower. I got out of the shower and announced to my hubby that we are having another baby. He looked at me like I was crazy.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ha! I still sometimes have moments where I think "I have TWO kids?" or "I'M a MOM?"

I love watching my kids play together. The love just multiplys with each child.

You'll be fine.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great post.. it's so funny to finally realize that your life is going to change soon and FAST..

1:24 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Chelle I enjoyed your post. Really you will be okay and I remember when No 2 came that I became not as uptight about so many things as I was with the first one - everything had to be in order. So if you relax you will do just fine. You can do it!

2:55 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

I am so confused ?

You are pregnant ? Fly is a girl ?
The names have changed ? WHAT ?

Who am I talking to ?
I seem to be out-of-the-loop.

Sorry !

2:55 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

Ok, so I went elsewhere, and now I get it .. but it still freaks me out.

I couldn't do this with my blog .. it's like lending someone my diary ... which ( for me ) is a bit weird ...

:)

2:58 AM  
Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

Chelle, great post! I think you're going to be a fantastic mother of two!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Dayngr said...

Two takes a little adjusting. One is a piece of cake. (Well, compared to two anyway - LOL)

You'll have to rethink how long it takes to get out of the house and all the other things you've got down pat with one.

Organization is key, will make your life a heck of a lot easier but probably unlikely. Do what you can, go with the flow and most certainly don't beat yourself up over it if things don't go as planned.

In time, you'll find your "mom of two" groove.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I get, it sometimes I think two is easier than one I know that soon you will too.
I put you on my blog roll.
leahtard

11:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the blog exchange idea. But at first I was like DAMSELFLY IS PREGNANT AGAIN ALREADY?!!!

I'm quick, I tell ya. Quick. :-)

6:35 AM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

And no one has ever written a book (have they?) on the challenges of having two sets of children. Number 3 child was born when number 2 child was 13. Had I ever contemplated nursing a babe in a house full of exuberant male teenagers? No, I had not!

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home