Friday, September 21, 2007

Four seasons? Oh no, there are five

The fifth season is coming. I can tell because my mailbox was stuffed with catalogs. Yes, it's that time of year: catalog season. Those precious months before the gift-giving, shopping-spree holidays arrive are upon us. If you're like me and you don't have a mail slot right at your front door, you take a basket or even a Lil' Red Wagon with you to cart all the mail back inside.

Some of the catalogs are for JP. Some are for both of us.

Some catalogs are for me, and here is what companies think of me:



I am a parent who is concerned about buying safe products for my baby. Even if that means using car seat straps that look as though they could possibly choke him.



I need to improve my home decor and should be a gracious host to my family at Thanksgiving by spending $5,000 to turn my home into a beautiful, relaxing autumn-themed retreat.



I like to bake, especially pies, which I carry around in the back of my pickup and deliver to neighbors.



I like to shop for well-made, sensible clothing, which I wear while dragging a dead tree through the snow in the mountains.



I am concerned about my health, have a fun chick friend to work out with (by the sea!) and wish I could look 10 years younger.



Whoa mama!

Want to play along? Write a post showing the catalogs you get (not magazines, newsletters or anything you pay to receive), and I'll create a list here.

BTW, if you want to stop getting so many catalogs in the mail, sign up here.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

You are a woman after my own heart with the snarking of catalog covers. I haven't gotten any yet, probably because I never order anything. But if I do I might just do your assignment. Right up my alley!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh funny. Guess what was in my mailbox today (remember I am a mom of THREE boys...) The American Girl doll catalog! What?

Steph

3:36 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

I've only lived here a few months-so I don't get too many catalogs! Hopefully one will show up tomorrow. I LOVED yours!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Crap, we just get Sears and Canadian Tire catalogues in the mail.

I'm so not writing a post on those.

I love that you bake pies and truck them around to neighbours, though. ;)

6:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL i just got the LL Bean catalog today! Giggle!

6:14 PM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

I am a sundance girl, though I can never afford anything in it.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

LOL
I get about 18 zillion catalogs a week. I'm so taking on your challenge soon!

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me giggle. I think they have all stopped sending me catalogs cause I never order from them. Thank God the Victoria Secret catalogs have stopped. Who needs those images in their house.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Sheesh. So far all I've gotten is a costume catalog. Nothing fun like yours. Apparently catalog season starts a little later in these parts.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha catalog season! You are so right!

I just received my American Surplus catalog and my Geek Gear catalog ... hmmm geek theme here?

10:35 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

OK, here goes:
Pottery Barn, love it, just can't afford anything, sigh
Oriental Trading Company
Lillian Vernon
Babies R Us (of course)
JC Penny
Home Decorator
Discount School Supply
Lands' End
Hallmark

Sad, sad, can't believe the amount of paper wasted on these things.

10:59 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

Bummer.

I've got a 'no junk mail' sticker on my mailbox, so I miss out on all the crap, yeah, but also the funky & fun catalogues.

I *really* wish we had Pottery Barn here...

2:17 AM  
Blogger josetteplank.com said...

Oh, what a fun assignment! I have to go collect my catalogs!

And can I say that there was a brief moment when I thought you were serious about spending $5,000 to dress your home for Thanksgiving?

I mean...that's serious Martha right there. ;-)

9:28 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Oh, that is fun...I'm in but it will take a week to collect some catalogs!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Too funny. I love how your mind works.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Hmm. I think I'll now be on the prowl for some fun catalogs... always nice to get some mindnumbingly fun post through the door.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I love it!

but you're going to throw your back out dragging around that giant tree by yourself.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I don't seem to get ANY catalogs. But then, Hubby gets the mail every day, and I'm sure he "censors" the mail. There's handy garabge can by the mailboxes, so I think he throws out the junk mail each day. (The few days that I pick up the mail, there's always a lot more. Although I've never seen a catalog on those days.)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Mama's Moon said...

I love your creativity - oh what those catalog companies don't know about us, eh??! Your post just made me realize that since our move to SoCal I haven't received a single catalog! (gasp!) Gotta get busy getting on ppl's mailing list!!!

Cheers!

12:57 PM  
Blogger mad cow gone mad said...

HMMM.

OK, here's the list:

Eddie Bauer
LL Bean
The Company Store
Pottery Barn
Abeka
Red Envelope
Hodgson Mill (yes, very exciting)
King Arthur Flour (another page turner)
Lowe's Home Improvment catalogue
Alpha Omega
Scholastic
Lifeway
New Creation
Oriental Trading
Rainbow Resources
Pottery Barn Kids
Neiman Marcus (yeah right!)
Cabela's (not mine)
Fao Schwartz
Ovris
Spiegel
Linensource
Mindware
Discovery Store
The Container Store

I can't remember the rest.

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home