Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Morning surprise

In the midst of parenting you -- a high-need, active child with the energy and will of two toddlers -- there are some quiet times with you that I cherish and drink in, wanting the moment to stretch out all day while we enjoy the time with each other.

You gave me a moment like that this morning. It rained all night -- thundered, actually -- yet you slept for 11 hours straight. When you finally woke up, I was there, and you jumped up and down, exuberant to see me. You pointed to the window, and I raised the blind and opened the shutters to let the dim, misty light into your room.

Then you surprised me. You buried your face in the velvet-slippered Boppy, the soft light not too faint to make your pale curls shimmer. You patted the rocking chair with your slender fingers -- your signals to nurse. Even though months have gone by since you nursed in the morning, I couldn’t deny some sweet time spent with you. Content to lie in my lap on the Boppy to nurse and look up into my eyes, I smiled and sang our secret songs. With my hand resting lightly on your chest, I imagined your heart beneath it, beating so closely to my own heart. Then you reached up to rest your hand there. I stroked your gossamer hair. Then you brushed a few of my strands away from my face.

Moments like this are what mothers imagine, hope for and dream of, I thought in this quiet dew-lit morning. And I knew I had never loved you more.

- - - - -

This post is a cheap imitation of the real thing, written by Amanda at Tumble Dry. If you want to read the real thing, go here. And if you want to write a post in the style of another blogger, please do -- and share!

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Oh, is that really what it feels like to read my posts? That was simply beautiful. I had chills that began along my left elbow and behind my ear, by the time the two of you were delicately caressing tendrils of hair it was as if I were back in the first moments of holding my girls.

I am deeply humbled by this post and feel a renewed sense of wonder at the intimacy between mamas and their babies.

Thank you so very much, friend!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

I love this!

Although you now have me missing those times...

5:04 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yes, Amanda, it is like that reading your posts.

Damselfly, you're doing well with this imitation thing. I want to participate, but I'm not very good at the imitation thing I fear.

5:57 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Beautiful! How do you do that? I want to imitate you but you're too perfect!

8:30 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

damselfly - wow! you are amazing at this! can i hire you to teach me how to write?

and yes amanda you always give us goosebumps on top of goosebumps!!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Man, you are so good at that!!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

Vwey nice! I always find just when I'm about to crack my son gives me a moment like that...

1:10 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, that is beautiful! Nursing a toddler is the best. I share many precious moments like that with my daughter.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

You made me cry a little!!! I'm envious of the bond that breastfeeding mothers have with their children. We tried so hard...

8:59 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I loved this post. And it made me wistful, too, for the nursing relationship I no longer have with my daughter.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Mommy Mac said...

That was beautiful. My boy is just a month, I believe, younger than Fly. I cherish our nursing moments - except for the acrobatic/distracted/let's-see-just-how-far-this-thing-stretches moments.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home