Tuesday, March 11, 2008

An education for a burnout

Lessons learned while stepping out of the blogosphere:

Bloggers are, on the whole, a gregarious, generous and loyal bunch. I'm touched and overwhelmed by the comments you left me on my previous post when I said that I needed to take a break. (Of course, I didn't really need to take a break to learn this....)

Staying in a beach house is an immensely delightful pleasure. I highly recommend it. If you can rent or borrow a beach house some time in your life, do it! Even if (or especially if) the beach house doesn't have Internet access!

I miss hearing about how you and your kids are doing!

There are many more things I am interested in besides blogging. (Gasp! Blasphemy, I know.) I have given blogging too much of my free time, and that's why I was feeling so burned out. (Hee hee, now I can call myself a burnout.)

Perhaps the most telling revelation: I think the reason I gave blogging so much of my free time is that it felt like work. And apparently, I miss work. Or at least, work is a habit. I mean, I've been sitting in front of a computer monitor to write for 20 years. (That's when my first real article appeared in a newspaper.) Then along comes baby, and what made me think that could/would/should change? I enjoy writing here at Growing A Life, but I can't let it be the only writing I do -- the only thing I make time for.

So I'm going to be posting and commenting much more casually from now on. As many wise bloggers have said, blogging should be fun. I don't want this blog to become another point on my to-do list -- another chore. Like probably all moms, I need more fun in my life.

Here's to fun!

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

I missed you. I'm glad that your time was refreshing and self-discovery-ish (not a word, sorry).
Welcome back (in little bits ;) )

3:34 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Glad to see you aren't staying away forever!

Sounds like your time away was helpful and refreshing. Blogging for fun is definitely a good thing to do.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could not agree more that blogging must be fun.

Hobbies and things are bonuses ... gives us somethign to write about, if all we do is write we would be dare I say boring!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh it is good to have you back!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

The beach sounds wonderful.

I love the photo.

Yes, blogging should be fun.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back!

5:06 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

oh how happy and lucky we are to have you back :)

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I have the same tendencies to treat my blog as a job. I need to work on that.

LOVE the picture!

5:36 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

I missed you, too!

I actually have been thinking for the past few days, "Where is Damselfly?!" b/c I was out of town on vaca and hit "read all" on my bloglines. I should have come and snooped around to find out where you were.

Anyway, I hear you on the blogging as work. I think it does make me feel accomplished...you know, more than a clean kitchen table and an empty dishwasher does.

I'll gladly read any and everything you post, whenever you post it!

Welcome "back"!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I'm glad you're back...and yes...let's have some fun! :) I definitely blog for fun...it's so much more...well...FUN that way. haha. :) And a beach house...that sounds great!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Brandie said...

Yeah! I'm so glad to see you back =) I've missed your posts and I miss your what I'd wear Wednesdays LOL!

10:49 PM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Hey, welcome back!

That photo is just precious.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I am glad that you had a fun time on your break. I love going to the beach.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I'm so glad you're back. We all need more fun in our lives, that's for sure. And I LOVE the beach. One of my very favorite vacations was the one the hubs and I took to Upper (North) Captiva Island. We rented a house for a week, and did absolutely nothing.

6:40 AM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Welcome Back!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Fun, yes absolutely you need to keep it fun. That's why my posts are so sporadic.

Love the pic of Fly.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

Welcome back - you were missed!

1:09 PM  
Blogger SlushTurtle said...

Glad you are back- and what a sweet picture!!!

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home