Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Dads are at war, too

Wednesday, March 8:

Today is my husband’s birthday.

This morning before getting out of bed, he kissed my stomach good morning. Then he put his head down and swore he could hear the baby’s heartbeat.

Last night, he came home and gave me a hug hello. “I get to hug the two people I love the most,” he said with mock over-delight.

For some reason, I was surprised and touched to hear him say that.

“Really?” I asked. “You already know you love the little person?”

Silly question.

Sometimes, people ask me if I think he will be a good father. And I know he will.

A Good Morning America segment today focused on how it’s not just mothers, but also fathers, who struggle to maintain a good work/life balance with a follow-up to the “Mommy wars”; yes, the “Daddy wars.”

I don’t see my husband being a stay-at-home dad. But I have heard him say many times he wants to be more available to his child(ren) than his own dad was to him when he was growing up.

Happy birthday, honey!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

just came visiting from Ms.Booty's site. Its funny to read the same comments I felt when we were just pregnant. We were also still newlyweds, and I was excited to see the new parts of Eric come to light...and wonder how he would be as a father. There is a process for them, like there is a process for us...and it is inspiring to watch. Mine has realized his great inner potential and beyond...I wish the same for the two of you. We moved cross-country, he took a high-powered/high-stress job, and he is still the most available man I've ever met...its all out of love for this miracle. Enjoy!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Happy birthday, Mr. Damselfly!! ;)

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home