Sunday, March 19, 2006

A-quilting we will go

Sunday, March 19:

I am making a quilt for my friend who is due in June. It seems like an archaic thing to do, but I've never known anyone to turn away a quilt. Besides, don't babies need a lot of blankets because they get dirty so fast (like, use one while the others are in the wash)? Even if the quilt becomes something to sit on while playing on the floor, or the thing the kid drags behind him like Linus, a quilt is still a good thing, isn't it?

The invitation for her shower came just last week, and it's only a couple of weeks away. So I don't have much time.

Thing is, even though I've created lots of clothes and window treatments before, I've never made a quilt.

I mean, I have no idea what I'm doing.

But I throw myself into it.

I got the fabric and batting (a nice cotton, not that cheap polyester stuff) and got cutting and laid out the pattern on the floor. There's not much to it -- it's not going to be one of those quilts that are made out of a hundred little pieces with country-looking flower patterns -- but more modern, with fat stripes of coordinating fabric and cut-out shapes stitched here and there on top of it all. I confess, I designed the quilt after looking through a Pottery Barn Kids catalog. That kind of quilt.

If the quilt turns out, maybe I'll post a photo of it. And maybe make one for my older brother and his wife, who are expecting to adopt a child from China. And maybe then I'll make one for my own little person.

If the quilt doesn't turn out, though, forget I said anything.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Ah! E's baby shower!! I forgot about it!! Glad I've still got a couple weeks!! Wish I had the time to make something by hand...sigh. Damselfly, you are always surprising us with new talents!! I had no idea you were so domestic!

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home