Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hairy stuff

My hair has now reached the mid-back point, and I desperately need to get it cut. It's not enough that it takes me 15 minutes to properly wash my hair (15 minutes! which is why I usually shower when Flybaby is in bed for the night), but then I spend another 20 to dry and straighten it. Because my hair is super thick -- I get it thinned a couple times a year -- and hyper-wavy (a term I came up with to describe lots of tiny waves that sometimes actually curl but not always; most people would simply call it curly and be done with it), I feel a need to make it as flat as possible or end up looking like I'm stuck in some wild 1980s-era hair band video.

(Yes, I know about the book Curly Girl and I know about Ouidad. Sometimes I let my hair be free. But leaving it curly requires more maintenance -- more time I don't have -- in the end, and I'd rather straighten it and be done with it.)

To get my hair straight and flat, I start with L'Oreal Vive Pro Smooth Intense products "for dry, rebellious hair that's thick." Yes, it actually says that right on the bottle. Gee, thanks! Then I dry my hair with a large, round brush and my trusty Conair dryer that has a diffuser attachment, until it's almost dry. To finish, I use my Remington Wet2Straight straightener. You can spend $200 on straightening irons, and I'm sure they're worth it, but this works great for me. Sometimes, if I want to feel special, I'll spray Citre Shine Shine Mist Spray Laminator on my hair (and sometimes also in between washings).

You see what I have to go through? That's why I need a cut so badly. It takes too long to straighten this hair of mine. So ... know of any good, current styles, "Mom hair" or otherwise?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Lissete said...

20 minutes to dry?? You must be a pro! I have pin straight hair & it takes me about 15 mins. My daughter has thick wavy hair and I think she usually takes about 45 mins. On a side note, I used to always spiral perm my hair because I hated my straight hair. I would still like curls in the summer though but I'm killing it enough with color! :)

2:17 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Don't forget, Lancelot and I will com e over and play with Flybaby while you get your hair cut! I need to get mine cut too. I just hate having to break in a new stylist. Sigh.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Oh my! I could never keep up with that routine.

By the way, I nominated you for an award on my blog :)

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I;ll confess something to you..I STILL HAVEN'T BoughtA HAIRDRYER since we moved to Florida! Heck, I just let the damn thing dry in the mornings. As for my brow hairs! It's starting to look like a tree!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I envy anyone coordinated enough to use a hairbrush WHILE blowdrying. I am a spaz when it comes to that kind of stuff!

I do love the CitreShine stuff!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Oh, thanks for the sweet comment! It's always great spending time with you too! Love ya, girl!

4:19 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

My hair IS straight and flat and thin.

I look at Mulletman's curls and ringlets and sigh over their inate sexiness. Seems we always want what we ain't got!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Holy Camoley! It probably takes me 10 minutes to wash, dry, and "style" my hair. But then again, mine is stick straight and very fine. The closest I ever get to a compliment about my hair is when I go to have it trimmed and the stylist says, without fail, "your hair is really healthy." Um, thanks?

I don't just want healthy hair, I want beautiful hair! Sigh.

I wouldn't mind having thick, curly hair just for one day. Just to try it out . . .

7:18 AM  
Blogger devilishsouthernbelle.net said...

I can totally relate! Only I have thick, frizzy hair that isn't really curly or straight, just wild!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home