Monday, April 16, 2007

Little swimmer ... little harpist

Flybaby started swimming classes this weekend!

He got cute little baby swim trunks, and cute little baby rashguards to keep the sunshine off his shoulders!

He got to go into a swimming pool for the first time, and spend time with his dad!

And he cried the whole time!




(Maybe it was because I made him wear a virtual sombrero to cover up his super-white, super-bald head . . . ?)

I'd also like to complain about a newfound parental torture device: swim diapers. Now I know why regular diapers are designed the way they are. Swim diapers, I have just learned, are like stiff underpants. You put one baby leg through a leg hole, and then as you're putting the other leg in, the first leg comes out. So you go back to the first leg, and the second leg is kicking freely. So you try to hold down both legs and ... five minutes later, you just hope your baby doesn't pee in the pool....

On the way to the class, we drove in my car, whose stereo was set to a children's CD that came on automatically after the car started.

JP immediately turned it off.

We have an ongoing debate: should we let Flybaby listen to "children's music," which he truly seems to enjoy, or should we play him "real" music? I am all for encouraging Fly to listen to a variety of music styles, and thanks to family and friends who have given us several "children's music" CDs (mainly Baby Einstein, but others too), he listens to them all the time. Besides the CDs and his iPod playlist, most of Flybaby's toys also play some kind of tune. The babe is surrounded by music.

I think JP is just concerned his son may grow up to be a xylophone player or a harpist....

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Lissete said...

Awwww, poor baby! I'm sure that by the next lesson he won't cry as much, if at all. Love the "sombrero"!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope he enjoys the next lesson more! I started Becs in lessons at 6 months and she always enjoyed it ... We try to vary the music, but she gets suck on Raffi or Pooh Bear *sigh*

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that picture! I know that will be one to treasure! We are stuck on kids' music around here. I wouldn't even recognize anything current!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your little guy is so cute! I think I can say with a fair amount of certainty that he will not be 14 listening to Baby Einstein's sing a long. lol

11:02 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

What a cutie even when he's crying. Sweet picture.

2:13 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

poor little thing - I am soooo glad we do not have to use those "swim-diapers" any more, because THEY SUCK !

I feel your pain !!

Not sure on the music question, although I had TMBG playing "Birdhouse in your Soul" on You-Tube today and we danced together over& over & over again until I WISHED we could put on a Children's CD ( hee hee ! :)

But yeah, children's music can be naff. When the Master was a baby, I was once flicking btn stations, and he really got off on "The Doors". I think it was Riders of the Storm. So I thought 'that's pretty cool' and got on with it ;)

Good luck !!

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an adorable pictures. I'm sure he'll adapt to the water. I already have some children's CDs for Baby K and sometimes play them on my way home from work since I know she's at the point where she can hear things going on outside the womb. DH always turns them off the moment he gets in the car. :)

6:52 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Poor guy! My D hated the water when he was a baby. Just last year he was finally comfortable enough to take swimming lessons.

We always played a great variety of music - Raffi was fun, and we liked They Might be Giants "No" CD.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Mayberry said...

I wish I had played more "real" music for my kids actually. Now if I try to turn it on they protest and want "their" songs. Disappointing.

10:20 AM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

(As a Veggie Tales cd plays in the background) My kids listen to both.

My older two (adults now) listen to diversity - Funssocksgirl loves Louie Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald, Bonehead goes for Celtic music and rap. The little ones LOVE kids' praise music, classical, and rock.

Anything but Country. We don't do country!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby had his two swim lessons so far. Dunking him in the water already. I'm trying to teach him how to kick but it hasn't sunk in yet (no pun intended)

6:12 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

We have been taking Lexi to the pool lately too. She starts in 2 weeks. She seems to love the water. We'll see how she does being dunked though.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home