Tuesday, August 05, 2008

These are the days

Looking back at pictures and videos of Fly as a little baby, I get this woozy feeling that I didn't appreciate his little-babyness as I should have, that I missed out somehow. Maybe I was too busy taking care of him to enjoy him fully, I wonder. That makes me a little sad -- almost as though I lost a part of him.

But I am enjoying Fly now. And I hope two years from now, I won't look back, and think and feel I missed out on this time in Fly's life. Every day, I hold this munchkin-sized creature and try to savor everything that he is, in that moment.

This week, a friend and I are attempting to seize these moments with our kids and squeeze out the last bit of summer before school starts on Monday (for her). Today, we went to watch airplanes and to explore a beach we'd never been to. Tomorrow and the next day are surprise places she doesn't know about. Friday, we plan on going to the zoo. There is also a movie night and Pampered Chef party at her house thrown in for good measure. We are taking the bread and sopping up the broth the spoon can't reach -- a summer that's good to the last drop.

- - - - -

These are days you'll remember.
Never before and never since, I promise,
will the whole world be warm as this.
And as you feel it, you'll know
it's true that you are blessed and lucky.
It's true that you are touched by something
that will grow and bloom in you.

These are days you'll remember.
When May is rushing over you
with desire to be part of the miracles you see in every hour.
You'll know
it's true that you are blessed and lucky.
It's true that you are touched by something
that will grow and bloom in you.

These are days.

These are the days you might fill with laughter until you break.
These days you might feel a shaft of light make its way across your face.
And when you do you'll know how it was meant to be.
See the signs and know their meaning.
It's true, you'll know how it was meant to be.
Hear the signs and know they're speaking to you, to you.
--10,000 Maniacs

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I was just laying in bed thinking about how I didn't savor Noah's baby-ness enough before Carter came along, and then for each child it seems I've missed something. But yet, there are so many things that just stick with you in your heart and the days you spend now, the memories you are creating now are all a part of it, too. We can't spend all our time on memories or we'll miss out on the "now!" and you are right... these are the days.

Steph

2:00 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I often feel like this too. But what a great idea to celebrate the present (and I love what you and your friend are doing this week-the final farewell to summer). It's so hard to see the forest through the trees when you're knee-deep in diapers and spit-up. But remember: you also have this blog to look back on and recapture Fly's baby days.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I worry about that with each passing year. But each year seems to bring its own joys so it's hard to be too sad about days gone by.

8:19 AM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I think we will always feel nostalgia for the days gone past. And some part of us will think that we didn't understand or appreciate enough what a treasure we were holding. I love the last sentence, about the bread, such an apt and beautiful metaphor.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

I never want to miss anything. I know what you mean.

2:56 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

oh i so needed this reminder.

and this song.

i need to sing it more often.

thanks friend.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

lovely.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

I find myself nostalgic, too. Though I'm glad I'm blogging and can go back and recapture some of those moments (somewhat) when I have time.

Thanks for the reminder to enjoy the moment, right now.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

I also feel like I missed a lot of my son's "babyness."

But this has been SUCH a fun week with you and Fly. We've made lots of memories that will last a long, long, time.

Thank you my friend.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home