Thursday, February 19, 2009

Viral



Fly had a virus last week, after we returned from the Bahamas, and we spent most of last week just basically doing nothing.

And it was so, so nice.

When we finally came out of our cave, I confessed to friend Guinevere I actually enjoyed Fly getting sick. She didn't flinch, wasn't shocked, didn't gape at me or carry her child away from my toxic presence. What a friend.

She understands that Fly getting sick meant he was by my side most of the day -- on my lap or in my arms for a hug, even -- he didn't act up and I got some much-needed rest, even though I had to get up with him in the middle of the night.

It was good to know I can still soothe my boy and that he still wants his mama to be there for him.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

I wouldn't have flinched either because I know that's likely to be the only quiet time some of us get!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

As awful as having sick kids is...you're right, there are some pluses...like all the ones you mentioned. :)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I know exactly what you mean.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Yeah, sick sucks but the snuggles are beyond compare.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Aww, I'm glad you got so many extra cuddles in and so much rest. Confession time for me too. Levi got sick this week, and I enjoyed the cuddles and rest as well. Gasp!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I hope that he is feeling better now :)

11:25 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

We've kind of had the same week going here. I get it;)

11:39 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Sorry that the little guy is sick. I got some extra snuggles with my sick boys this week too.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I wish my kids were that pleasant when sick but they get whiny and cranky.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

Sorry he's not feeling well! I've been following your trip from my feeds with such longing . ..

12:47 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

It sucks when they're sick, but knowing that only mama can make them feel better is kind of satisfying.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Of course you can.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When Haddie is sick, it is THE ONLY time she voluntarily snuggles with me. I can't complain. :-)

I hope Fly feels better soon, though!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Aw, look at his big eyes.

My big 9-year-old is still cuddly when he's sick. He drifts off to sleep on the couch and I swear I can see the baby that he was when his face is so relaxed. I kind of love it, too. Except when there is barfing. ;)

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great friend to know exactly what you meant :)

Cuddles are always welcome.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand exactly what you mean. My youngest is 10 now, and I miss her wanting to be close to me.... When she's sick, I cherish being able to comfort her just by being there... :-)

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home