Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Big mean mama

Believe it or not, Fly isn't the most obedient two-year-old this world has ever seen. I know, you are shocked. The Fly you know is smart, charming and terminally cute. But he has a strong will. If you put him on the floor in the Capitol building when Democrats and Republicans are arguing, they will agree to anything if it means finally getting him out of the District of Columbia and not having to deal with him again.

Sometimes when he doesn't listen to me, I call his bluff. For example, when we come home from being somewhere, he doesn't want to come inside. He wants to sit in the driver's seat of my car and play with the controls, run down the street, see what's in the neighbor's yard, smell the other neighbor's flowers, check the mailbox and pick up stray sticks or leaves. But I might have to pee, or I might have heavy bags of groceries, and it's time to go inside right now. Fly doesn't understand right now (unless he wants a cookie). So I might go inside and close the door, watching him from there and hoping that gets his attention.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Today, Fly didn't want to take a nap. But I knew he was tired. I told him it was time to sleep. I went to his room, hoping he would follow me. He didn't. I would have picked him up and carried him to his room, but I am in a phase when I am trying to get him to listen to me without intervening like that. (Hey, I can hear you! Stop laughing!) Ten minutes later, he showed up, when I grabbed him and sat him in my lap as usual for some songs and talking about our day so far. Fly hurled himself off my lap and onto the floor.

Because it had already been a tantrumy day, I'd had it. "You can put yourself to sleep!" I said, calling his bluff and and retreating to another room.

And that's exactly what he did.



And when I came back and saw him curled up on the floor, I felt like a big meanie.

I think I need a time-out.

Labels: , , , ,

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, what cutie! You don't need a time out, you did good. He fell asleep ... exactly what you both needed.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Obedient and 2 year old don't even belong in the same sentence. You know that, right? NOBODY has an obedient 2 year old.

I know how it feels to be the big mean mom. I've so done that. Mine is usually when the baby has been rocked and fed and still won't go to sleep and I finally give in and stick him in his bed and he cries for 10 minutes then when I finally go in he has a poopy diaper. Then I feel horrible!!!!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Meh that is nothing especially when compared to the morning I had torturing my kids (or at least they acted like I was).

5:13 PM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Aw now, don't be too hard on yourself! Your tactic did work, and don't they just look like angels when they're asleep?

5:40 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Don't be so tough on yourself - sleeping and napping is a hard territory.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Letting him put himself to sleep is a good developmental step, I think. Only feel bad for a little bit... then be thankful that he fell asleep ;)

7:22 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I think we have to be mean sometimes. He sure does look cute curled up on his little bean bag, though.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

That wasn't mean - that was getting him to accomplish a skill! And what a cute pic.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a meanie! You were right---he needed sleep! ;)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Aww! I KNOW those moments!

Steph

10:25 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Looks to me like you did exactly what was needed.

10:38 AM  
Blogger White Hot Magik said...

You know you will appreciate this skill when you have a baby. So keep at it!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

If you think you're mean, then I can't imagine what you must think of ME as a mother. You must think I'm awful.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Kirsetin Morello said...

Girlfriend, I am right there with you in the Big Mean Mama club. But that's okay. It's our job sometimes, right? Because we love them and we ALL need our sleep!

1:24 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

beyond adorable friend.

and the big mean mama thing must be going around lately - pretty sure beans would put my name in for that title :)

1:59 PM  
Blogger ames said...

He looks plenty cozy :)

Now, if you'd tossed a cold glass of water on him at that point, *then* you'd be a mean mommy!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you totally worked it right, you gave him the choice and he opted to sleep on his own.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Um, that's genius. Can you come to my house and teach me how to do that with Isabella?

10:56 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

Don't let the innocent sleeping look get to you!

I just had the hardest time trying to get Esme into her car seat after shopping at Wal-Mart. She's getting big enough and strong enough that I can't just force her, at least not until I tire her out a bit. So what do you do? Of course she fell asleep amidst the tears when I finally succeeded after 1/2 hour.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home