Monday, April 23, 2007

The anniversary project: Don't mess with a woman's plants! Especially this week!

Dear Darling JP,

Every time I look at my wildflower garden, which you hacked on Saturday night but I didn't see until Sunday morning, I get angry all over again.

I know you're probably rolling your eyes or thinking of a few obscenities right now after my moping and huffing all day yesterday, but I wanted you to know how I feel. I am trying to get over it.

The plumbago bushes so full of lavender flowers have been annihilated to green and brown stumps. The yellow lantana? MIA. Even the firespike that the butterflies love so much got beheaded. Thankfully, the petunias are still there -- way in the back, though. And the recent additions you helped me by planting a couple months ago, well, I couldn't find them, either.

I look at my barren little corner of the yard and wonder, why? What part of "don't whack my garden again" last time did you not understand?

You said you were trying to be helpful. You want the yard to look nice when my family comes in town for my sister's renewal of vows on her 25th wedding anniversary. Some people in the family have never been to our home. I want our place to look great, too -- which includesd our great little garden. Aaargh! Now they will come and see shriveled stumps! Stumps!

When I say I love you, it's true -- I do love you even though I'm still angry. And I may be loving you through gritted teeth right now. But I believe love is a commitment. (So maybe I should be committed.... )

I'll get over it eventually. Maybe when the flowers start growing again.

Love, (See?)

me

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Don't they just drive you insane? My husband pruned one of our small trees in the middle of winter! The middle of winter!! He is lucky he did not kill the tree, I would have been very ticked if he had.

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be steamed! You don't mess with a woman's garden!

7:13 AM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Ooooh. Strong moment of identification. Sad memories of Mowerman and the irises. The beautiful irises.

A man and a mower (or a weedeater) is a SCARY creature!!!!

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That man is brave!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, my husband has done the same type of thing more than once, too.

He seems to think "Sorry, I thought it was a weed" is an adequate apology, enough to make me stop being angry. It isn't just anger, there's grief. I tried re-planting those shriveled sunflower seedlings, to no avail. My peonies? Gone.

Why can't they ask first? All hell will not break loose if there are a few weeds (I'll get to them soon, but in the meantime they aren't really hurting anyone enough to justify killing the good things I'd deliberately put there). And why can't they remember that the last time they started hacking or pulling, they made a mistake?

"Sorry, I thought it was a weed" is just the beginning. What I need is "I promise I won't do it again."

10:35 AM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

OH, that is sad. He is just a little too helpful.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anybody in my house did that and heads would roll. My kidlets went through a phase where they liked to pinch the plants. It would drive me wild and I'd pinch them back (very mature of me). I'd then explain how plants are living things, (think Ferngully) and could feel pain but couldn't tell you -- I needn't go on you probably get it.
I love the cake, it's fun!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

That's terrible!! How dare he??!!! Let's whack HIM.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home