Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Anniversary Project: Too late to change the date now

~Warning: gratuitous picture of cake at the end~

I haven't talked much about my sister's 25th wedding anniversary coming up. Probably because I have been too busy planning it.

I don't know how I ended up planning my sister's renewal of vows. But the realization came about a month ago....


Me: Well, Flybaby and I are going to drive to the beach town today and reserve a beach pavilion for Seaster's Anniversary Project today. I'm waiting for the minister to call me back. Oh, and she wanted me to find a baker for a wedding-style cake and a florist. Then I have to download this song she wants me to sing, and learn it.

JP: And just what is Seaster doing for this Anniversary Project?

Me: Um. I think she's trying to decide what to wear.


That's how it happened. My sister, who loves the ocean (can you tell by the name she actually calls herself?), lives five land-locked states away. But she chose to renew her vows here. Where I live. Where I can do all her bidding much more easily than she can.

She's so sneaky that way, to give me work to do in the name of being practical.

Now it's Anniversary Project Week, and Saturday is the big day. She and our mother are going to be here in two days. Then over the next couple of days, her husband, children and close friends will trickle into town.

She picked the date several months ago, and I reserved this beautiful beach pavilion as early as the beach town would allow me. I chose the pavilion myself and reserved it in my name.

Today, the beach town calls.


BT: Hey, you've got a pavilion on Saturday.

Me: Yes, that's right.

BT: You know the seafood festival will be going on.

Me:

Me: No. I didn't know.

BT: Maybe you want to change the date.

Me:

Me: It's kind of too late for that now.


With trepidation, I e-mailed Seaster this news. Just so she can be prepared for any photographs that have, in the background, people walking around in lobster costumes. Nothing says "I'd spend 25 years of my life with you all over again" like a banner decorated with shrimp.

To date, I haven't practiced Seaster's song. I never found a baker because I decided to make her cake myself. Shouldn't be too hard, what do you think of this picture of what she wants?



Piece of cake.

AAAAaaaaaah!

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Did you bake that yourself??? OMG, that is beautiful.

Maybe the festival-goers will want to be part of the wedding celebration, too!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Uh . . . you will definitely be in my thoughts!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

NO, I did *not* make the cake in the picture. That's a picture of what my sister wants. Now I have to duplicate it. Oh me....

1:01 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

WoW! I am impressed with the planning, singing & cake. Good luck!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Oh boy. It sounds like you have your hands full. I think it would be easier to construct that cake out of styrofoam and pipecleaners than it would be to bake it. May the force be with you.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am just impressed that you are attempting the cake! I hope everything goes well!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

WOW! I hope you have fun with it. If you can I would try to find Eddible shells and starfish to put on the cake, instead of making them yourself. Then all you will have to do is bake the cakes and assemble them, add the fondant and add a little border around the bottom of it.. pin the shells and starfish on and it will be ready to go. Good luck with it.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha Stewart has some cool tips on cake making/designing :)

I am sure the anniversary will be wonderful no matter what!

9:42 PM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

I can't help but want all the shells on the cake to have googly eyes. Is that wrong?

9:42 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

That cake is gorgeous .. but I have to say, you either take too much on, or have it forced upon you !! :)

The Lobster-people might be a funny reminder in years to come .. but it was terribly remiss of the beacside venue NOT to mention it beforehand.

All said though, the seaster seems pretty laid back, despite the plans already going a bit slipsided, so I assume she's not a vintage Bridezilla ?

Good luck. Hope you all have a lovely day, come what may !

:)

6:52 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ah, I acually want to click away from this page for fear of somehow sullying the cake with my magical talent for creating a cake layer slide effect.

May you have the magic of Betty Crocker, the expertise of Julia Child and the magical touch of Martha as you endeavor to accomplish the seemingly impossible.

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap. Good luck!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Brandie said...

Good luck getting all together for your sister! You are very kind to do it =)
I bet you can do that cake ... make sure and show us pictures when it's finished so we can all ooh and aah at your talent!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

oHhh... of course that's the cake she wants...
I am thinking of you and your family ... Seafood festival, ohhh my.... lobsters and the like in the back ground...I cannot wait to see the picks and read your blog about the event!!!!!!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

You are a brave, patient, generous, giving sister. Let me know if I can help you get anything ready! (Replant some flowers, perhaps? I can go get shells from the beach for you to decorate your cake with.)

12:08 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Heh-heh-heh-heh. Maybe the folks dressed like shellfish can sing the special song instead.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home