Tuesday, May 01, 2007

You know you're a mother when...

Please welcome Mrs. Chicken, who wrote this post as part of the monthly blog exchange. You can read my post at her blog.

Last night we attended a party for the doctoral students in my husband's department at the Huge Midwestern University. Hosted by one of his professors, the event was scheduled for 4:30 to 6 p.m.

In the good old days, The Poo would sleep like an angel during those hours. Oh, how glorious it was! Three hours every day to clean, shower, write, nap or watch The Gilmore Girls.

Those glory days are behind me now, and the same time of day is currently set aside for crazy. Unless, of course, we need to be somewhere.

Yesterday, The Poo fell into a deep sleep during the 10-minute drive to the party.

I carried her in like a sack of potatoes, lying her down on an unfamiliar sofa in a house full of doctoral candidates jockeying for face-time with the faculty bigwigs. I left her there to doze as I watched the competition from the sidelines, and just as we were getting ready to leave, she woke.

Eyes huge from slumber and cheeks rosy from playing in the hot sun all afternoon, she made a pretty picture. Snuggled into daddy's shoulder, she flirted shyly with Mr. Chicken's mentor and waved goodbye as we trundled her off to the car.

Where she proceeded to have a huge meltdown.

There we were, driving down the town's main drag, me half out of my seat and twisted backward to see what was plaguing the child so.

She was hitting her nose frantically.

"Yuckas, Mommy! Der's yuckas in my nose!" she screamed.

So I reached back as far as my (freakishly long) arm-span would allow and pulled from her nose the largest, grossest, most man-sized booger in all the land. This was not a delicate little snot from a tiny, girlie little nose.

This was a booger for the ages.

I turned back into the front seat, the aforementioned booger on my index finger.

"Look at that!" I held it up for Mr. Chicken to admire. "That is one huge booger!" At that moment, precisely, it dawned on me.

This was a booger only a mother could love.

- - - - -

Mrs. Chicken is a freelance writer and mother of The Poo. She is learning to love life on the prairie while her husband pursues higher education at a Huge Midwestern University. When she isn't ridding the world of gigantic boogers, she is blogging at Chicken And Cheese.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Damselfly said...

I am certain this will be one of The Poo's favorite stories when she grows up.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Binky said...

This post just begs for a photo illustration!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Mayberry said...

I am sure it was the most beautifulest booger, since it came from the nose of the Poo.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness! I can't help but laugh. Too cute. Boogers are not something I can deal with when they come from my son's nose!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I have shown my husband the kid's snot before. It truly is something that only a parent would even care about.

10:34 AM  
Blogger S said...

I have done the same, only with (embarrassingly enough) poop. One of my children produces man-sized poops that leave me in awe.

But it's funny -- when I want to show them to the hubs, he doesn't want to see them!

So yeah, only a mom. Or, maybe, in my case, only a nutjob like me.

10:39 AM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

HHahahahahahahahahahha!!!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ewwwww. You are a good woman, Mrs. Chicken, even if certain designers think you have pygmy legs.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've seen my fair share of boogers. Only now do I realize they could be lovable.:-)

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe love for boogers ... perfect :)

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an amazingly cute post!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

That's a booger for the ages. Impressive.

(yeah, only another mother could say that.)

7:14 PM  
Blogger soccer mom in denial said...

This was brilliant!!!!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Challenge 20/20 teams said...

I thought i was the onky one who picked my kid's nose ;)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Hey Damselfly-

In response to your comment on my blog, I'm not sure if I can help you with CD liner notes, but I've got some jangly baby toys that might do the trick for the cat. As for your sanity, I think it must be hiding out somewhere with mine-- the two of them are consorting against us. Watch out for an ambush!!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL!

When my children were all little babies and would fall asleep on my lap, I would use that time to clean out their noses. It totally disgusted my husband, but I just couldn't stand the site of globby green boogers in such cute little schnozes. Now I just chase them around with tissues all the time!

7:28 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I agree with binky. We need a photo here. LOL...

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohmygod - I needed that laugh this morning :) forget what the babies do, it's what comes out of them that's the biggest source of discussion!

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home